Monday, May 28, 2012

"After all...a person's a person no matter how small." -Dr Seuss

 Don't let these pictures scare you because it looks sad but really everything here is quite normal for these little premies! The first picture has all of his IV's for fluids hooked up and he has a Cpap machine on his face to help his lungs breath (they are still so premature). 
 I love this pictures because he has an oxyden monitor on his hand he holds his binkie in his mouth with his hand so it lights up the binkie. Very cute!
 This pictures was taken after they removed the Cpap machine and he was looking around at his new found world!
 If there is one thing this little guy HATES, it is being naked and exposed and in order to keep his body temperature regulated, they had him under the heater lights and no clothes or swaddled blanket around in. So sad!
 This was his daily "sun tan." If you have ever had your child be a bit Jaundese, this eye patch may look familiar. These are his "tanning goggles" he wore while under the billyreuben lights. Seriously NOT his favorite.
 This contraption looks a lot worse than it really is. When I was first introduced to the Isolette, it concerned me that he had taken a turn for the worse and was needing some extra care and machinery. It turns out that he is kept in this contraption to help regulate his body temperature and it keep it quiet while he sleeps. Babies this young grow in hours and when they sleep and are able to conserve their energy, they grow quickly!
Tate will require a feeding tube in his nose till he leaves, it is the way that the nurses feed him every three hours when I am not there. HE HATES IT!
 This mom is in love!
 Daddy's boy
Ella got to meet her baby "bruder" for the first time on Saturday May 26th! They have a very strict policy in the NICU and siblings were unable to visit until the RSV season had lifted and all immunizations must be up to date. Ella loved getting to see the baby that she had seen so many pictures of but had never met! She had been warned by her dad that if she was naughty or mischevious she would be taken out! That threat was enough to keep our rambunctious little girl quiet and on her best behavior.
 Tate is still growing and requires lots of care and so the nurses let us help do some of his care. Brushing his hair is on the list (to help with craddle cap) swabbing the inside of his mouth to keep it moist, changing his diaper, and taking his temperature. At the end of each care that boy is about warn out! Tate is no longer on any IV's, he is breathing room air, he eats great and his Jaundese has come down so he can be swaddled and even clothed!  
May 28th: 
Current Weight 4 lbs 6 oz.
18 1/2" long

3 comments:

JKBKR said...

Erin,

Your baby boy is absolutely beautiful!!! I love his sweet little face and his head of hair and you look amazing. He is doing so well, what a little trooper! My little sister delivered a baby at 25 weeks and my little baby was in the NICU for 8 days after his birth, so I am familiar with all of this. My little one was on a ventilator and I was unable to even hold him for the first 5 days- so I'm thrilled for you that you're able to do a little bit of snuggling with your sweetie! I love his name and am so happy for you and Jake (and big sister as well :) We'll keep you in our prayers- so thrilled for you :)

Kristen (Mathews) Reams

Britt said...

Oh Erin, he is just precious! Please come and visit us soon so I can hold him!!!

Colette said...

Jake and Erin, I did not know. I wish I had known we would h ave stopped by to see you all. Are you home? I am at Raquels with her new baby boy who was born on July 12th. I hope all is well with you all. please email me at colettekremin@gmail.com